Liuzhou Laowai

Random thoughts on life in Liuzhou, Guangxi, China

Guangxi Goes Global – Again

??GX Airlines (北部湾航空) is a relatively new operation (started February 2015) with flights from Nanning to various Chinese cities.

They have now announced that they are about to launch international services. In June, they plan to inaugurate flights to Cambodia and Vietnam. Specific destinations are expected to be Hanoi, Danang, Nha Trang, Ho Chi Minh City and Phnom Penh.

(Note: Nanning Airport is so far from the city that you are already half way to Vietnam before you get on the plane!)

In fact, GX air is 70% owned by Tianjin Airlines which is owned by the government. The remaining 30% is owned by a consortium of investors who are the government, too.

They are also promising flights to Thailand at some stage. in the “near future”.

Wow!

I flew from Nanning to Bangkok and back in January/February 1999. Another government owned airline. Forget which.

They do this all the time. Every year or so, they announce that due to the selfless dedication of the party and the wisdom of the leadership, they are now going to introduce something we had all along. Orwell couldn’t have got it more right.

GX Airlines doesn’t actually have any planes but “leases” them from themselves. Their fleet of 10 Embraer E190 jets is owned by the parent company. The government.

 

. This entry was posted on Sunday, March 20th, 2016 at 3:26 pm and is filed under Guangxi News, Traffic Traumas. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

6 Responses to “Guangxi Goes Global – Again”

  1. Susan Spande Says:

    It is standard practice here in the USA that planes are leased back from the parent company. This makes the company which flies the planes an LLC. In the unlikely event of a crash, the parent company cannot be sued. Each plane has its own corporation behind it.

  2. Liuzhou Laowai Says:

    Interesting, but I’m sure that isn’t the reason here.

  3. Kevin Says:

    I know several of their foreign pilots. In fact I was with one of them for several hours last night The airline is currently flying Embraers but has orders in for Airbus320’s, the first two of which should arrive next month. They’ve been actively recruiting experienced Airbus320 pilots. Most of them are flight officers but the first one got his captains ticket yesterday down at the training facility in Sanya.

  4. Liuzhou Laowai Says:

    Foreign pilots? “Foreign” is relative. Do you mean non-Chinese pilots or Chinese pilots?

    Everyone is “foreign” to others.

  5. kevin Says:

    Sorry I should have been more specific. A Canadian, a Brazilian, and a Finn. Currently only flying domestic routes. Hefei, Hohhot and two other destinations.

  6. Orson Says:

    “Nanning Airport is so far from the city that you are already half way to Vietnam before you get on the plane!” I love this 🙂 Most airports and High Speed Railway Stations are ridiculously far away from cities in China. Due to the limit of terrain, the locations of airport are somtimes understandable. But for the train stations locate in the remote suburb, it is really annoying. Luckily Liuzhou does not choose a new site in the middle of nowhere to build a new station, but only expand the old one. I hope Liuzhou people are aware of that this is an advantage, not the otherwise.



XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

It may take some time for your comment to appear, it is not necessary to submit it again.


%d bloggers like this: