Liuzhou Laowai

Random thoughts on life in Liuzhou, Guangxi, China

Smoke Gets in Your Eyes

At 9 pm on Saturday night (June 21st), a fire broke out in this building in Liuzhou’s city centre Five Star pedestrian area and was the most exciting thing to happen there since a tree fell over in a storm in 1952. The building, which contains karaoke bars and restaurants was successfully evacuated and the fire brought under control. No one was injured.

1

 6940dff7693908e508239d3424b3e868

The fire started in an electricity distribution box on the seventh floor, and quickly spread through the wiring,  reaching the 9th floor (the top floor). It is reported that there is considerable smoke damage to the building.

17af9eaed8e2aaf6b82e0914b26df37f

. This entry was posted on Monday, June 23rd, 2014 at 10:53 am and is filed under Fire Starting, Liuzhou News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

2 Responses to “Smoke Gets in Your Eyes”

  1. Carl Johnson Says:

    I don’t know about the more modern buildings in City Center. I would hope they are better. But the electrical wiring in the older apartments I visited are downright scary! It makes you wonder when you go to sleep at night! Even worse I’ve seen little kids playing near these panels with dangling bare wires. But I never hear much about accidents. I guess they are more careful than us?

  2. Liuzhou Laowai Says:

    This building isn’t particularly modern. In fact, it is possible the oldest on the street apart from Wuxing Dept. store.

    I very much doubt that they are “more careful”. If they were, they wouldn’t have these bare wire panels in the first place.



XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

It may take some time for your comment to appear, it is not necessary to submit it again.


%d bloggers like this: